ArcheoEchi is a VR documentary that recreates the atmosphere of the ancient medieval cathedral of Montecorvino. Thanks to advanced immersive technologies, its graphic layout was reconstructed as well as its acoustics, allowing users to have multisensorial time travel. This makes ArcheoEchi one of the first virtual archeoacoustics projects ever implemented for the general audience.
In order to guarantee the highest level of scientific accuracy, ArcheoEchi has been supported by the Department of Humanities of the University of Foggia (IT) and the AudioLab of the University of York (UK). Our precious collaborators who worked on ArcheoEchi are Francesco Cardillo (acoustic engineer), Follorum medieval music ensemble, Marcello Strinati (actor), Valerio Quartullo and Aurora Meneo (3D modeling), Martina Scarcelli (text editor), Anna Maria d’Ecclesia (narrating voice), Andrea Belardinelli (360 videos), Clab Studio (recording facilities).
ArcheoEchi has been subject of two papers:
- AES E-Library » ArcheoEchi — a virtual reconstruction of a medieval cathedral in Southern Italy at the 149th conference of the Audio Engineering Society.
- ArcheoEchi: un’app per la fruizione immersiva multisensoriale della cattedrale medievale di Montecorvino (Volturino, FG). Dall’ideazione alle esperienze con il pubblico (Maruotti, d’Amelio)
and it has been cited in the following works:
- Rumsey, Francis. “Are You There? Presence and Practice in Immersive Audio.” Journal of the Audio Engineering Society 69.1/2 (2021): 120-124.
- Manzetti, Maria Cristina, and Nikos T. Papadopoulos. “Being a spectator in a Roman theatre: a VR APP.” Archeologia e calcolatori 32.1 (2021): 457-468.
- Giuliani, R., G. D’Amelio, and M. Maruotti. “Studiare e comunicare il costruito di una città medievale dei Monti Dauni (Montecorvino).” Tiziano Mannoni. Attualità e sviluppi di metodi e di idee,. Vol. 2. All’Insegna del Giglio, 2021. 420-423.
- Duchêne, Frank. “Leveraging immersive audio production techniques to enhance cultural and historical understandings in a museum setting.” (2022).
- Navas-Reascos, Gustavo, Luz M. Alonso-Valerdi, and David I. Ibarra-Zarate. “Archaeoacoustics around the World: A Literature Review (2016–2022).” Applied Sciences 13.4 (2023): 2361.